Take a look at the first news report to emerge from the group projects in CAR class. Nice work by Greg Mantell and Xinrui Zhu for this story about how DWI fatalities in mid-Missouri have persisted, even as the number of DWI accidents and injuries has declined.
The wait is over, here is that mystery assignment that’s due by noon Tues., Feb. 5.
Read a CAR/data journalism story that’s been published in the past two years. Then, use the commenting system here to write a few paragraphs that summarize the story and how data was used. Also, note questions that you have [...]
For many students and journalists, spreadsheets are the entry-level computer-assisted reporting tool and it’s easy to see why: They come installed on many computers and are relatively simple to use. Most students learn how to use spreadsheets in middle school, if not before. Another attraction for data journalists is that government agencies release a lot [...]
Excelling in the Computer-Assisted Reporting class (and at data journalism) takes dedication. It’s easy enough to attend every class, contribute to discussions and complete every homework assignment by deadline to earn a solid grade. But, students who want to excel must go beyond the minimum. In my 10 years of teaching this class at the [...]
With classes starting in just four days, it’s a great time to take stock of the data journalism offerings for students at the Missouri School of Journalism. Starting this semester, students can learn anything from analyzing simple spreadsheets to building news apps with programming languages.
Undergrads who want [...]
Veteran investigative reporter and data journalist. Advocate for open government.
- Oh, who will win inaugural Golden Padlock Award from @IRE_NICAR at #IRE13 this week? http://t.co/UhhKdgJDMB All worthy finalists. about 1 day ago
- Good read on visual literacy + journalism http://t.co/HUKvQqi8v9 #datajournalism about 5 days ago
- White House visitor data helped show meetings w/industry re: #fracking rule. http://t.co/C9dngs0y5B For Uplink subscribers. @IRE_NICAR about 6 days ago
- 3rd-party #fracking disclosure falls short in #PA and #CO http://t.co/6eunC2rc70 about 1 week ago
- Extra Extra Monday: Banks' lies to homeowners, police photo-ID troves and the offshore leaks database
- Oregon program has $576,000 budget and restores gun rights to three people
- In India, poorest women coerced into sterilization
- Extra Extra Monday: NSA leaks, secret fracking settlements, predatory tire rentals