The Obama Administration released its Open Data Policy two weeks ago, getting deserved attention from the open government community.
On the surface, the White House policy gives transparency advocates much to get excited about. When it comes to data, the memo (PDF) directs federal agencies to “adopt a [...]
Take a look at the first news report to emerge from the group projects in CAR class. Nice work by Greg Mantell and Xinrui Zhu for this story about how DWI fatalities in mid-Missouri have persisted, even as the number of DWI accidents and injuries has declined.
Here’s how the Sunlight Foundation built Open States, a state legislative information service during the past few years. It’s an interesting look at building a big open government project with a community of web developers.
The wait is over, here is that mystery assignment that’s due by noon Tues., Feb. 5.
Read a CAR/data journalism story that’s been published in the past two years. Then, use the commenting system here to write a few paragraphs that summarize the story and how data was used. Also, note questions that you have [...]
For many students and journalists, spreadsheets are the entry-level computer-assisted reporting tool and it’s easy to see why: They come installed on many computers and are relatively simple to use. Most students learn how to use spreadsheets in middle school, if not before. Another attraction for data journalists is that government agencies release a lot [...]
Veteran investigative reporter and data journalist. Advocate for open government.
- Some federal agencies better http://t.co/5KUKflLeXl than others at posting data inventories http://t.co/WkPTuXBoza #opengov about 3 days ago
- Fun #opengov fact: Federal agencies were supposed to post data inventories starting more than 15 years ago. http://t.co/sTElyS2fff about 3 days ago
- IRE members get free premium CometDocs accounts. http://t.co/pNDeleic4B Convert those gnarly PDFs! @IRE_NICAR about 3 days ago
- Potential tripwires for journalists in new White House Open Data Policy. http://t.co/OMU62oG5vD about 3 days ago
- After coming forward, military sexual assault victims diagnosed with mental disorders
- Extra Extra Monday: Sexual assaults in the military, data breaches, CDC emails and power tool injuries
- Green energy company may be breaking California waste disposal laws
- Some felons hold active gun permits in county of NC